The Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Monday, asked the All Progressives Congress, APC, its former national chairman, Adams Oshiomhole and the party’s candidate in the Edo governorship election, Pastor Osagie Ize-Iyamu to apologize to the traditional institution over last week’s show of shame at the Palace of the Oba of Benin, Ewuare II.
This is even as the PDP national campaign council for Edo governorship election called for an end to politically thuggery not only in Edo state but across the country.
Addressing a press conference at the party’s national headquarters, Kola Ologbondiyan, secretary, publicity sub-division of the council said evidence before the party shows that the ruling party is culpable in the dastardly act.
“Findings from our investigations, including hard evidence contained in the video of the attack posted by agents of the APC, clearly showed that the assault was coordinated by the APC and its leaders in Edo state to embarrass the traditional council and create a situation of chaos in the state with the view to derail the electoral process.
“Our national campaign council is also appalled by the display of arrogance and lack of remorse by Oshiomhole and the APC candidate – Ize-Iyamu, since the inexcusable brazen contempt and desecration of the Edo traditional institution and the sensibility of the people of Edo state in general.
“We however appreciate some remorseful APC leaders who had reached out to our national campaign council to express their personal regrets over the matter.
Nevertheless, we hold that the apologies should also openly go to the Edo traditional council and the people of Edo state in general.
“Nigerians are still in a state of shock that the APC leaders in Edo, in their desperation, could go to the extent of bringing thugs to the Oba of Benin palace to attack PDP entourage, which included state governors, and in the process brought unbridle violence against innocent citizens, as seen in the video posted by their agents.
“Moreover, the Sunday’s press statement by the National Working Committee of the APC, wherein it attempted to divert public attention from the culpability of its arrogant leaders in Edo state, is a clear confirmation that the APC’s attack at the Palace had the official backing of its national leadership.
According to the publicity scribe, “the Saturday’s attack at the Oba Palace by APC thugs as well as the failure by APC leaders to apologize, even after their involvement is therefore in furtherance of APC’s total disregard for the traditional institution in Edo state.
“Being out of job, Adams Oshiomhole is desperate to foist Ize-Iyamu, the same individual he exposed as a treasury looter, as governor just to have unfettered access to the state treasury as well as shield himself from prosecution.”
Also speaking, chairman of the council’s publicity sub-committee, Raymond Dokpesi said intimidation tactics must stop ahead of the September 19 election, adding the PDP is prepared to carry out an issue-oriented campaign.
Speaking on what transpired in Benin City, the Edo state capital on Saturday, Dokpesi said:
“I think it is very clear and there is no gain saying about it that the APC must be called to order by the President himself and by the security agencies. Enough like the chairman of this campaign has said is enough.
“People are being intimidated, people are being shot at. It would have been very easy to actually respond but we are law-abiding in the Peoples Democratic Party.
“We are not cultists in PDP. Look at the clear records of the people in the PDP- they are men of distinction, men of honour, peace-loving people and people ready to provide service to the people of Edo state.”
Source: News update