Juventus manager Maurizio Sarri said the club’s supporters “have every right” to attend the Champions League last-16 tie in Lyon amid concerns over the coronavirus outbreak.
The virus has claimed 11 lives in Italy and Juve will face Inter Milan behind closed doors in their next league game.
But Sarri says it is a “European problem, not an Italian problem”.
“Obviously we have to confront the problem and the authorities need to firstly contain it,” he added.
“In Italy we have done 3,500 tests and we have a certain number of positive cases. In France about 300 tests have been done, so probably if they had done as many tests as us there would be as many positive cases.”
It was announced earlier this week that Inter Milan’s Europa League last-32 home match against Ludogorets will be played behind closed doors at the San Siro on Thursday because of fears about the spread of the virus.
European football’s governing body Uefa says all of its other European matches scheduled this week will go ahead as planned and there are currently no restrictions for attending supporters.
However, Laurent Fautra, the mayor of Decines, where Lyon’s Groupama stadium is located, and Christophe Quiniou, his counterpart in neighbouring Meyzieu, have released a joint statement urging French authorities not to allow Juve fans to travel to the game.
Source: News update